Saturday, October 11, 2008

The Great Computer Crash of '08

Two Saturdays ago, we experienced the Great Computer Crash of '08. Or should I say, I experienced it. As I was leaving my bedroom for the kitchen that afternoon carrying my computer, the cord got snagged on the doornob and I dropped my laptop on the tile. I picked it up, checked to see that it was still on and took it back to the kitchen. It seemed to be alright and right when I was taking a big sigh of relief, it started making strange noises. Me, being me, I kept working to see if it would stop. Nope, it got worse. I went and got Brian, who said it was bad. While he was working to save a file off my computer, the hard drive completely stopped working. My life flashed before my eyes as we stood there looking at this blue screen. Then little tears sprang to my eyes as Brian told me my hard drive was fried. Everything is on my machine! All our addresses, financial data, files, and every digital picture I've ever taken are on that computer. HELP!
About the time I had stopped breathing and was in complete panic mode, Brian decided to put me out of my misery. He had backed up my laptop two days before Ike! And, he bought me a new 100 GB hard drive for my birthday a few days before! Yeah! All was not lost.
When everything was moved over to the new hard drive, I had lost a few emails dealing with Phi Mu business, updates on a few files and about 2 weeks worth of pictures. That means, all my pictures of Ike (pre and post storm), the pictures we took at the zoo after Ike, a family picture taken at church that previous week and a picture of Brian and I on our 10 year anniversary in September. (Luckily, my family has lots of Ike pics, Leah had some pictures also from the zoo, and I do have a copy of the anniversary picture on facebook though it is too small to print) That's not bad considering what we stood to lose without having backed up the computers for Ike.
So, I guess The Great Computer Crash of '08 should not go down as a "Great" crash. But, then again, maybe it should because it was I who dropped my own computer and caused the whole ordeal. The moral of this story is - back up your computers constantly, and carry your laptop and power cord seperately and carefully over hard floors. Uh oh, It's been two weeks since the Great Computer Crash of '08 and ask me if I've backed it up since. Oops. Gotta run and do that!

1 comment:

Kelly M said...

I just love reading your blog. I hope you have a wonderful day!!