| Ashley was responsible for making the table beautiful |
To celebrate my parent's 44th wedding anniversary, Brian and I hosted the family for a dinner party. Our first anniversary dinner party was for their 40th and the menu consisted of dishes from Brian's Brennan's of Houston Cookbook. You can see pictures of that dinner party here and on Shelly's blog.
This year, Brian selected the menu based on recipes from the Brennan's cookbook and one bought in Big Bend last year, called A Cowboy in the Kitchen.
Bryan came over early to help Brian get everything cooked. They work very well together and had each dish prepared on time! This was a first for them.
I will apologize now for the use of paper and styrofoam plates in the pictures of the appetizers. I caught lots of grief for serving such wonderful appetizers on paper. I just wasn't thinking ahead. And, we used my cute Parisian Pottery Barn plates for dessert and then didn't get any pictures of them. Next time I'll use the cute plates for appetizers and save the paper for dessert.
| Crab Cakes with Lemon Beurre Blanc |
| Cajun Enchiladas with Roasted Tomatillo Salsa |
| Salmon and Shrimp Tostada in Salsa Verde |
There was not a consensus on which appetizer was the best. Brian's crab cakes are always a favorite for me, but I admit I ate two of the tostadas. They were amazing! While others thought the enchiladas were their absolute favorite. We did agree that next time we get together for dinner, he could just make the Tostadas and Enchiladas for the main course. They were that delicious and filling.
After eating all of those appetizers and drinking some great wine (Thanks again Dad for bringing the CakeBread Cab), we took a "breather" to watch a few slideshows on the tv. The first were pictures from our family 2010 Big Bend trip. Then as a group, we all sat down to view the slideshow Leah, Shelly & I put together for my parent's 40th wedding anniversary in 2007. The kids had a great time seeing all the old pictures of Nana and Papa growing up, getting married, and raising us kids. Their favorite part was getting to the point when all the grandkids started showing up in the pictures.
After the 40th Anniversary slideshow we watched our family's 2009 Big Bend trip, and then the pictures from our 2007 family cruise. Birdie & Alex loved that one since they were only 6 & 8 months old in the pictures.
| Watching the slide shows |
| Bryan, Brian & Leah |
![]() |
| Shelly with baby Paige |
| Dad & Mom loved reliving their 40th Anniversary slide show |
| The kids loved watching the slide shows |
I've been asked what we fed the seven kids. I feel very wrong to admit that in the midst of all this fine food, we fed them corn-dogs. Most of them tasted appetizers, but we fed them dinner quickly at the kitchen table before the adults ate. We have learned through experience that we enjoy a leisurely dinner more if we get them fed and back upstairs to play before we sit down.
| As we began dinner |
Just in case we hadn't eaten enough already, we were served the main course.
| Potato-Crusted Fish Lyonnaise, CrispyRibs w/ Jalapeno Jelly & Bacon Wrapped Asparagus |
| Crab Bisque |
We were all so stuffed by the time we ate our main course. I polished off my Bisque, it was AMAZING! This was the second dinner party Brian has served the Crab Bisque and I wish I could get him to make it once a week. I love it! But I did not eat much of anything else on my plate because I was too full. When I ate my Fish and Ribs the next day the fish was so flavorful with the well seasoned potato crust. And the sweet spice of the jalapeno jelly along with the slow cooking of the ribs made them memorable. Brian must make it all again, just not all in the same night.
Even though we were beyond stuffed, our dinner did include dessert. Shelly brought a family favorite, Lemon Cheese Bars and I made a little contribution by making Individual Molten Chocolate Cakes from KraftRecipes. We didn't get a picture of either, so I borrowed this one from KraftRecipes.
![]() |
| Molten Chocolate Cake |
Happy 44th Anniversary Mom & Dad.
Thank you for always being a loving example to your children and grandchildren.



No comments:
Post a Comment