For the 4th year in a row, the kids have participated in our local library's Summer Reading Club. The library gives the kids a prize for every 5 books they read, culminating in a trophy after 20 books. That goal was not tough for my little readers, even Laurie was able to get a trophy this year. As I blogged about last year, I keep a spreadsheet of all the books we borrow from the library so I can track what they like and don't like to read. This summer they borrowed/read almost 200 books in 3 months between the 3 of them. They are getting really good at choosing books on their own that they want to read. Even Birdie has her favorites to check out.Not only did they earn a trophy from the library this summer, they also earned gift cards from the Half Price Books Summer Reading Program. They had lots of fun selecting books to purchase with their gift cards, though Daniel had a difficult time understanding that you don't have to give the books back when they don't come from the library. And that he can't get 10 books at a time from a bookstore, like you do the library.
They had so much fun with reading clubs, they also completed the forms to get extra tokens at Chuck E Cheese's when they'd read everyday for 2 weeks. Hey, whatever gets them to read even more!
The great news is that I have children who love books and love to read and be read to. Brian and I can't imagine where the kids get it. Could it be from the piles of books next to our bed?
2 comments:
As one of my grandsons would say, "Good Job".
I love that all of our kids like reading. Alex loves choosing his books too. I like the picture... Daniel has the perfect pose as usual and the girls have the same head tilt. Too cute, good job Jones kids!
Post a Comment