Sunday, March 20, 2011

A Sea of Blue

These last few weeks I've been focused on getting our plants ready for the Houston growing season and summer sun. Lots of time spent pulling out the dead plants, planting new ones, weeding and fertilizing.  The yards over all are still a little rough looking and require a bit more work and lots more sun before they look good.  

However, we have one area that looks AWESOME right now.  This plant is always the first to come up and first to bloom.  I LOVE it!!!  

"What is it," you ask?  They are Bluebonnets!!!  


Aren't they amazing!  You couldn't ask for a better state flower.

The best part - I bought one little bluebonnet plant from Wal-Mart for $1 a few years ago and put it in the flower bed.  Now, every late winter it pops back up and spreads more and more.  This year we found bluebonnets popping up in the grass and all throughout the flower bed, so we transplanted the ones in the grass to the flower bed across the pool.  They look incredible.  

Can you tell how bright blue they are?  

I found the plants at Houston Plant and Garden 2 weeks ago, and bought one for a flower bed in the front yard. Hopefully, it will spread to add some much needed color this time next year.

The down side of bluebonnets?  They will be completely dead and gone by June 1st. But even though they are short lived, it is awesome to look out the window in March, when nothing else is really in full bloom yet, and see a sea of blue.  

I smile every time I see them.

No comments: