Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Out of the Woods

It appears that the sickness has left our house. Should I say that out loud, or am I asking for it? With my last post about sickness, we left off with Ashley, then Daniel getting the flu on Thursday. Then, Monday afternoon, Ashley came home from school complaining of a stomach ache. Tuesday, she woke up still a little under the weather, but went to school anyway. I know what you're thinking, I'm a bad mom to send a potentially sick child to school. She had no fever and was complaining of a stomach ache. Impossible to know for sure if she was really sick, and Ashley had just missed 10 days of school.
Tuesday evening the poor child started throwing up again. We ran up to CVS to see if they would do a quick strep test on her, thinking the strep had come back. Evidently, their policy is no quick strep on people who've been on antibiotics within a month. Thankfully, my pediatrician told me we could come in before she opened in the morning to get a quick strep. Unfortunately, that test was negative and Ashley started throwing up again. They sent it off for cultures and we went home wondering what was wrong with her. We thought Wednesday was a miserable day, until we got to Thursday. By early afternoon, Ashley was throwing up every hour. It was terrible. She was in so much pain and there was nothing I could do for her. After talking to the nurse at the Dr. office, she helped me get Ashley's stomach to settle down and get some fluids in her. Nurse Randi is wonderful, so authoritative and comforting.

It was a slow mend over the weekend. Her cultures all came back negative, so Dr. D believes Ashley had a bad stomach bug. Her immune system has been low since being so sick and picked up something else going around school. It was a long slow weekend, but believe she is healthy at the moment. Poor child. She has now missed 13 days of school in 4 weeks for those of you who are counting. Please keep her health in your prayers.

1 comment:

Swan Family said...

Lisa, I'm so sorry. Poor Ashley! I will be praying for that bug to leave your house! Or as Gideon would say..."flush the bug mama!" lol Let us know if you need anything!!!