Monday, March 01, 2010

GatorPalooza & Funky Hair

The kids had their school festival, GatorPalooza, on Saturday.  In addition to visiting lots of booths, playing games, eating candy and jumping in the moonwalk, the girls also had their hair painted...


 ...and Daniel had his face painted.

 

The really great, funny part about it - Ashley was scheduled to be singing at mass for children's choir in less than 2 hours after GatorPalooza.  Could I let her leave her orange and lime green hair like it was and sing in front of the whole church?  It would be "fun", but no, I couldn't do it.  She & Birdie agreed to wash out their hair with no fuss to attend mass.  

Ashley sang beautifully at mass with 4 other children in the choir.  Brian, Daniel, Birdie, Nana, Papa and I all sat in the front row so we could see her sing.  For me, it is tough to sit where I can see her sing because she fidgets the entire mass, and Saturday was no exception.  There were several times the choir director had to remind her to sit or stand still during the hour.  As frustrating as it can be, she more than makes up for it with her beautiful voice.  Ashley loves to sing.  She loves to stand up in front of the church with a microphone and sing.  And she sounds wonderful.  We could not be more proud of her.  

During the readings, I noticed Daniel looked a little sleepy.  Next thing I knew, he was sound asleep, sitting straight up in his chair.  I wasn't quite sure what to do.  We were sitting in the front row, right in front of Father John as he gave his homily.  I was worried that if I tried to wake him up, he would get really cranky or cry, so we left him.  A short time later, he started to fall over to one side, so Brian shook him gently and woke him up.  The short catnap seemed to be what he needed because he was a little groggy at first, but was in a good mood.

Leaving mass, Father John complimented and thanked Ashley for her performance and she promptly told him about her funky hair color prior to mass starting.  He laughed and told her she should have left it green and orange.  It would have made mass more "cool".  She laughed and really liked it.

No comments: